Four years ago, the then-16-year-old vocalist Jessica Sanchez finished as a runner-up in the final round of the eleventh season of American Idol, losing (to the persisting chagrin of many) to Phillip Phillips. But on Thursday night, she was back on the Idol stage to commemorate the end of the series, and to call it a comeback would be an understatement.
Trent Harmon was voted the winner of the final season Thursday, but if you hadn’t seen the episode and relied on Twitter for updates, you might believe that Sanchez had somehow been belatedly crowned. After her performance of “The Prayer,” Twitter erupted with unanimously fervent praise for the 20-year-old singer.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This