Justin Bieber is being accused of cultural appropriation after debuting his new dreadlocks on an awards show.
The controversy began on April 3, when the 22-year-old singer appeared at the IHeartRadio Awards show and posted a series of pictures of his new look on Instagram.
Critics took to social media to air their displeasure at a white male appropriating a look considered to be a traditional black hairstyle.
This is not the first time the singer has been criticized for his hair. In a picture posted on Instagram three months ago, Bieber is seen touting cornrows. However, the star did not seem too keen on the style, saying: “Hailey made me get corn rows…these will be off tomorrow.”
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out