Justin Bieber is being accused of cultural appropriation after debuting his new dreadlocks on an awards show.
The controversy began on April 3, when the 22-year-old singer appeared at the IHeartRadio Awards show and posted a series of pictures of his new look on Instagram.
Critics took to social media to air their displeasure at a white male appropriating a look considered to be a traditional black hairstyle.
This is not the first time the singer has been criticized for his hair. In a picture posted on Instagram three months ago, Bieber is seen touting cornrows. However, the star did not seem too keen on the style, saying: “Hailey made me get corn rows…these will be off tomorrow.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement