Justin Bieber is being accused of cultural appropriation after debuting his new dreadlocks on an awards show.
The controversy began on April 3, when the 22-year-old singer appeared at the IHeartRadio Awards show and posted a series of pictures of his new look on Instagram.
Critics took to social media to air their displeasure at a white male appropriating a look considered to be a traditional black hairstyle.
This is not the first time the singer has been criticized for his hair. In a picture posted on Instagram three months ago, Bieber is seen touting cornrows. However, the star did not seem too keen on the style, saying: “Hailey made me get corn rows…these will be off tomorrow.”
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.