Many were shocked and saddened at the sudden death of Zaha Hadid, one of the world’s foremost architects, on Thursday.
When news broke that the Iraqi-British architect passed away at age 65 following a heart attack Thursday morning, scores of fans and friends took to Twitter to pay tribute and mourn her passing.
Hadid’s firm confirmed her death:
And a number of prominent art or architecture institutions, their members, and architecture writers expressed their sadness:
Celebrities and fans, including London Mayor Boris Johnson and British Culture Minister Ed Vaizey, also responded with admiration for Hadid and her work:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at firstname.lastname@example.org