Forward Motion, a San Francisco-based nonprofit, has combined the best parts of childhood and adulthood to create the first-ever “ball pit bar.” The pop-up event, which required attendees to be 21 years or older, was hosted at a cocktail lounge called Romper Room from March 19-20.
Ryan Lum, Forward Motion’s founder, told Mashable that finding funding for the party was the most difficult aspect of planning it. “It took a little over a year to actually make it happen as the biggest obstacle was trying to raise enough money to purchase 40,000 ball pit balls,” he said. “After several failed crowdfunding attempts, I decided to just start selling tickets to [the] event that didn’t even exist. It took a long time trying to raise the money but it was all worth it in the end.”
Lum also said that reactions to the event were extremely positive. “I talked to many of the attendees as they left the ball pit with a huge smile on their faces. I overheard people saying things like, ‘my inner child is so happy right now.’ People loved the idea [and] wanted to know if there will be more.”
Forward Motion is already planning a second ball pit blowout that will be held at the San Francisco nightclub Monarch in April.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time