When comparing one Batman movie to another, the focus tends to remain on the man inside the suit. And as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theaters this weekend, all eyes are on Ben Affleck‘s newly-minted Dark Knight. But over the course of more than seven decades, the suit itself has cycled through as many changes as the casting of the actors who have worn it. There have been minor alterations—pointier ears here, sturdier boots there—but the biggest difference is its metamorphosis from cloth to armor, clothing to combat gear. The only way to give Batman a fighting chance against the Man of Steel, it seems, is to shroud the man in steel himself.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliza Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org