The unidentified man snarled traffic and caused a stir on social media after he scaled an 80-foot-tall tree downtown and refused to come down for at least five hours and counting, according to local media reports.
“It is quite a spectacle, honestly,” police spokesman Patrick Michaud told the Seattle Times. “At this point, we want to make sure he’s OK and that he can get down from the tree without hurting himself or someone else.”
“We’re on his schedule,” Michaud added. “We’re not going to rush it with someone at the top of a tall tree. If you rush it, it could become dangerous.”
The man has thrown an apple, branches and pine cones at first responders, Seattle police said in a statement. He “appears to be suffering from a crisis” and has claimed to be armed with a knife, the statement said.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out