In the aftermath of Tuesday’s terrorist attacks in Brussels, which killed at least 31 people and injured scores of others, people around the world are expressing their support for Belgium by sharing pictures of beloved cartoon character Tintin crying.
The characters from Georges Remi’s The Adventures of Tintin—specifically Tintin and his dog Snowy—have long been national symbols of Belgium and are now being used as marks of solidarity with the country. Many have posted pictures of the boy reporter with tears on his face featuring captions such as “I am Belgium” and “Sadness.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science