The mayor of Paris tweeted that the Eiffel Tower will be lit up in black, yellow and red in solidarity with Brussels following a series of deadly attacks Tuesday that left at least 31 dead and dozens injured.
Anne Hidalgo wrote on Twitter, “In solidarity with the people of Brussels, Paris will light up the Eiffel Tower in the colors of the Belgian flag tonight.” She added the hashtag #NousSommesUnis, which means “We Are United.”
The town hall of Brussels lit up with the colors of the French national flag at the Brussels Grand Palace in November following terrorist attacks in Paris.
James Arthur Gekiere—AFP/Getty Images
The Belgian capital has been on high alert since the Paris attacks, when Salah Abdeslam, a suspect, fled to Brussels. He was arrested on Friday.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement