Donald Trump will address prominent Jewish Americans during a speech Monday afternoon to the pro-Israel group AIPAC, courting the constituency at a time when his relationship with Jewish voters remains complicated.
Trump’s proposal to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the U.S. has made some Jewish leaders wary.
“As somebody who is Jewish, when you hear somebody in public life want to ban someone from entering America because of their religion, it’s unsettling,”Ari Fleischer, a former George W. Bush spokesman who sits on the board of the Republican Jewish Coalition, told TIME recently. “I don’t think he’s aware of how many people who have struggled against oppression, bigotry, who come from a different background, who hear a politician say keep any one group out, and it’s not too far a leap to say, well, does he want to keep any other groups out?”
Trump is scheduled to address the AIPAC conference, where Hillary Clinton and other presidential candidates are also speaking, at 5:45 p.m. E.T. Watch it live above.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time