Trump tweeted that Cuban President Raul Castro had “no respect” for the President and First Family because he did not greet them when Air Force One landed on the island on Sunday afternoon.
“Wow, President Obama just landed in Cuba, a big deal, and Raul Castro wasn’t even there to greet him,” Trump wrote. “He greeted Pope and others. No respect.”
“Meanwhile, political prisoners languishing in dungeons across the island will hear this message: Nobody has your back. You’re alone with your tormentors. The world has forgotten about you,” Cruz wrote.
Obama landed on the island on Sunday for the two-day journey, during which he’ll meet with both Castro and political dissidents. Republicans in Congress have also been critical of the President’s decision to travel to Cuba, where the government keeps a tight lid on political dissent. The White House says the trip will help the U.S. and Cuba chart a new course after years without formal diplomatic relations.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time