Trump tweeted that Cuban President Raul Castro had “no respect” for the President and First Family because he did not greet them when Air Force One landed on the island on Sunday afternoon.
“Wow, President Obama just landed in Cuba, a big deal, and Raul Castro wasn’t even there to greet him,” Trump wrote. “He greeted Pope and others. No respect.”
“Meanwhile, political prisoners languishing in dungeons across the island will hear this message: Nobody has your back. You’re alone with your tormentors. The world has forgotten about you,” Cruz wrote.
Obama landed on the island on Sunday for the two-day journey, during which he’ll meet with both Castro and political dissidents. Republicans in Congress have also been critical of the President’s decision to travel to Cuba, where the government keeps a tight lid on political dissent. The White House says the trip will help the U.S. and Cuba chart a new course after years without formal diplomatic relations.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart