Last night, Oliver spent a new episode of Last Week Tonight doing his impression of the Kool Aid Man, knocking down the wall that the Republican presidential candidate wants to build to separate Mexico and the United States in order to curtail illegal immigration. While Trump has estimated the wall would only cost $4 billion, Oliver notes that, “Donald Trump’s margin of error is only the GDP of Moldova.” Oliver did the math on the project and the cost in both dollars and common sense is much more.
In his take down of the idea, Oliver noted that the wall would cost an estimated $26 billion, would sit on on private property, could take up to ten years to build and has serious effectiveness issues. Oliver believes there is a better way to #MakeAmericaGreatAgain — buy everyone waffle irons.
And, yes, he knows he looks like a pygmy owl when he delivers the news.
While the majority of the episode was dedicated to Trump’s wall, the show ended with a very important poll question:
Which dog would make the best Merrick Garland on their Dog Supreme Court? Vote now.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was