Snoop Dogg is not in Romania—but due to classic modern mishaps related to Instagram geotagging, it appeared he was, and the village of Bogata in northern Romania is thrilled.
The rapper was actually in Bogotá, Colombia this week, and when he posted a selfie, he mistakenly tagged his location as Bogata in Mures county, Romania, the Associated Press reported. The mishap has brought wanted attention to the village of 2,000 people.
Romanian residents were excited, and at least one enterprising person quickly made a Visit Bogata website.
“Snoop Dogg checked into Bogata, Mures, by mistake — but you don’t have to!” the homepage reads, calling the village “the best place for chillin’ in Romania.”
The site touts the village’s historic landmarks, traditional food, natural scenery and internet speed, referencing a recent comment by Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders that “people living in Bucharest, Romania have access to much faster Internet than most of the US.”
“Maybe not as high as in the capital city of Romania (we’re looking at you, Bernie Sanders), but we’d say it is pretty good,” the site said. “Good enough to quickly upload a selfie.”
“It was a mistake but it’s a good advert for us,” Bogata Mayor Laszlo Barta said Friday in an interview with the AP.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.