Two people tested positive for Ebola in Guinea on Thursday and have been taken to a treatment center, according to the nation’s government.
The news comes after the deadly two-year outbreak in West Africa had been officially declared over. The two people infected with the virus are from the village of Korokpara, where three members of one family died in recent weeks from diarrhea and vomiting, Reuters reported, citing a government agency spokesman.
The global Ebola epidemic—which has killed more than 11,300 people since 2013—is thought to have started in Guinea, a country in West Africa that neighbors Sierra Leone, whose outbreak the World Health Organization (WHO) declared over on Thursday.
It is not yet clear how the new patients contracted Ebola, but the WHO has warned that Ebola could resurface and said earlier that rigorous hygiene practices and emergency response systems need to be maintained, according to the news service.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up