Every single flight begins exactly the same way: With one of those soul-crushingly boring safety lectures explaining what to do in case the worst happens. But if one of your plane’s engines explodes mid-flight, what are the odds you’re actually going to remember what the flight crew said back on the runway?
Enter Prepare for Impact. It’s a new free smartphone app for iPhone and Android that simulates various airborne emergencies, with the goal of teaching users how to survive a catastrophe. It covers everything from the mild (runway overruns) to the extreme (a crash into water). Sadly, there’s no “snakes on plane” scenario.
For a smartphone app, Prepare for Impact is surprisingly intense. Will it save lives? Who knows. But it’s at least more interesting than those FAA-mandated safety lectures.
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body