Every single flight begins exactly the same way: With one of those soul-crushingly boring safety lectures explaining what to do in case the worst happens. But if one of your plane’s engines explodes mid-flight, what are the odds you’re actually going to remember what the flight crew said back on the runway?
Enter Prepare for Impact. It’s a new free smartphone app for iPhone and Android that simulates various airborne emergencies, with the goal of teaching users how to survive a catastrophe. It covers everything from the mild (runway overruns) to the extreme (a crash into water). Sadly, there’s no “snakes on plane” scenario.
For a smartphone app, Prepare for Impact is surprisingly intense. Will it save lives? Who knows. But it’s at least more interesting than those FAA-mandated safety lectures.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This