Every single flight begins exactly the same way: With one of those soul-crushingly boring safety lectures explaining what to do in case the worst happens. But if one of your plane’s engines explodes mid-flight, what are the odds you’re actually going to remember what the flight crew said back on the runway?
Enter Prepare for Impact. It’s a new free smartphone app for iPhone and Android that simulates various airborne emergencies, with the goal of teaching users how to survive a catastrophe. It covers everything from the mild (runway overruns) to the extreme (a crash into water). Sadly, there’s no “snakes on plane” scenario.
For a smartphone app, Prepare for Impact is surprisingly intense. Will it save lives? Who knows. But it’s at least more interesting than those FAA-mandated safety lectures.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future