President Obama nominated federal appeals court judge Merrick Garland to the vacant Supreme Court seat in a speech in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
He would replace conservative Justice Antonin Scalia, who died in mid February, but he faces an uphill battle as Senate Republicans have vowed not to confirm—or even vote on—Obama’s pick.
Here are President Obama’s full remarks nominating Garland.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time