Apple has filed its final planned legal salvo before the federal government and the world’s most valuable company are due to face off in a California court over unlocking a killer’s phone on March 22.
“The Justice Department and FBI are seeking an order from this court that would force Apple to create exactly the kind of operating system that Congress has thus far refused to require,” lawyers for Apple wrote in the brief filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
“They are asking this court to resolve a policy and political issue that is …
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving