Sasha Obama was all smiles when she met actor Ryan Reynolds at a state dinner on Thursday—and Malia Obama responded as only a sister could, giving her an encouraging, if slightly sarcastic, thumbs-up in the background.
Reynolds, who stars in Deadpool, attended the dinner with wife Blake Lively.
It was the first state dinner for President Barack Obama’s daughters, who were featured prominently in the speeches given by their father and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
“It’s also touching to meet Malia and Sasha, who are here at their first State Dinner,” Trudeau said. “And quite frankly, the memories for me of being a kid and not being old enough to attend these kinds of events with my father almost makes me wish I had gone through my teenage years as a child of a world leader—but not quite.”
Trudeau was a child when his father served as Canada’s prime minister.
“I admire you very much, both of you, for your extraordinary strength and your grace, through what is a remarkable childhood and young adulthood that will give you extraordinary strength and wisdom beyond your years for the rest of your life,” he said.
But even as daughters of a world leader, their response to Reynolds was universally relatable.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time