Ben Carson endorsed Donald Trump, making the retired neurosurgeon the second former presidential candidate to endorse the Republican frontrunner in the last two weeks.
Appearing next to Trump at a news conference in Palm Beach, Florida, Carson said Trump is “a very intelligent man who cares deeply about America.”
“There are two Donald Trumps,” Carson added, alluding to Trump’s campaign persona. “There is one who sits on the stage and the one who is cerebral…and that’s the one you are going to start seeing more and more of.”
Carson’s endorsement was finalized on Thursday during a meeting with Trump, reports the Washington Post. Trump confirmed that Carson would endorse him during Thursday night’s Republican debate on CNN.
“It is such an honor to have Ben—he is a friend, he has become a friend and I appreciate the endorsement,” Trump said after Carson spoke on Friday.
Carson ended his presidential bid last week, saying that he saw no “political path forward” in the race.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart