While many were waiting for the Republican presidential debate to start Thursday, President Obama took the opportunity to jab at Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.
Obama was entertaining Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during a state dinner at the White House when he made a remark about Cruz having been born in Canada, according to the White House pool report.
“Where else could a boy born in Calgary run for president of the United States?” he said during a toast moments before the CNN debate started.
Trudeau is in town for an official state visit—the first by a Canadian Prime Minister in two decades.
Cruz wasn’t the only famous Canadian that took a hit during the evening, Obama knocked Justin Bieber, saying that Trudeau may be “the most popular Canadian name Justin.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science