Daniel Lara, a.k.a. “Damn Daniel,” became the biggest meme of 2016 (so far) when a video of him and his white Vans recently went hugely viral. Footage of Lara wearing a variety of outfits was posted to Twitter by his friend Joshua Holz — who also provided the hilariously bizarre voice that narrates the clip — and brought the two teens almost overnight online fame. The tweet received hundreds of thousands of retweets and millions of views, and earned the two boys an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Unfortunately, the original video was deleted on Sunday when Holz’s account was hacked. Those who took control of his page also posted several tweets containing racist content that have since been removed.
Holz regained control of the account early Monday morning and started hashtag #getthevideoback. He also posted an apology to his 164,000 followers. “Got my account back,” he wrote. “[There] are some really sick people out there and I’m sorry you guys had to see all that.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time