Donald Trump retweeted a quote from Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini on Sunday.
The Republican frontrunner shared the saying made famous by the founder of the fascist movement with his 6.4 million followers. “@ilduce2016: ‘It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep,’ – @realDonaldTrump #MakeAmericaGreatAgain,” the tweet said.
It comes from a parody account created by Gawker specifically to troll the bombastic billionaire, the website claims. The account’s profile picture is a composite of Trump’s hair and Mussolini’s face.
Trump said on Sunday that he wasn’t aware the quote came from Mussolini. “It’s a very good quote,” he said on NBC’s Meet the Press, adding that he didn’t want to be associated with the dictator. “I didn’t know who said it, but what difference does it make if it was Mussolini or somebody else?It’s a very good quote.”
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was