Salma Hayek is mourning the death of a loved one.
The actress revealed heartbreaking news on Instagram Friday when she announced that her dog Mozart was fatally shot a week ago.
“I haven’t posted for a week as I been mourning the death of my dog, Mozart who I personally delivered out of his mother’s womb,” Hayek, 49, wrote.
“He was found dead in my ranch last Friday with a shot close to his heart. I am hoping that the Washington State authorities do justice to this wonderful dog whom in 9 years never bit or attacked anyone.”
Adding, “He loved his territory and never strayed away… he was the most loving and loyal companion. He didn’t deserve a slow and painful death.”
The animal lover often expresses her fondness for her pets, many of which she adopted.
“I have five horses, four alpacas, one cat, eight dogs, one hamster, five parrots, two fish, I’m sure I’m forgetting something!” Hayek said on the Ellen DeGeneres show in October 2013.
“You know this is like the Oscars you forgetting someone. Oh I forgot! I have bunny rabbits, I have turkeys, 20 chickens, same with the rabbits be careful just buy one.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org