Sweeping seaside vistas and a pair of this year’s Oscar nominees are center stage in the first trailer for Derek Cianfrance’s adaptation of The Light Between Oceans.
Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander — both up for Academy Awards this weekend for Steve Jobs andThe Danish Girl, respectively — star as a lighthouse keeper and his wife who live on a remote Australian island just after World War I. When the couple discovers a boat carrying a dead man and a baby, they decide to raise the child as their own, only to discover later that the baby’s mother could still be alive.
Rachel Weisz also stars in the period drama, based on M.L. Stedman’s bestselling novel of the same name. Disney and DreamWorks have set a Sept. 2 release date for the film.
Watch the first trailer, via The Guardian, above.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time