You can read a thousand books about love and talk to a hundred therapists about what makes a marriage work. But the truth is, nobody knows better than people who have loved each other for more than seven decades.
Mr. and Mrs. Lombardi, who are both 95-years-old, are more in love today than they were seven decades ago, when they got married.
Here are the tips they most want younger people to know, about love, life, and staying together:
1. Just love each other.
Live by the philosophy of choosing love, even when it’s not an easy choice.
2. Compliment each other often.
Say something nice to your spouse every day. Compliment anything from their beauty to their cooking, or even how helpful they are.
3. Have a good sex life.
Yes, even at 95-years-old! Make intimacy a priority in your marriage.
4. Live near family.
There is nothing like family to raise your children around and to grow old with.
5. Limit eating out, eat good food, watch your sugar intake.
Take it from this couple, who can still ride bikes in their 90s, there is nothing like homemade food to keep you happy and healthy.
6. Never cheat.
Whether emotionally or physically, just don’t do it.
These real-life marriage experts insist that before you commit to someone, you have to realize that you are doing so in every way for the rest of your lives. So even when tempted, you must remain faithful.
7. Never go to bed mad.
“Just kiss” is their antidote to going to bed angry. They insist it’s just that simple. Try it!
8. Be OK with arguing.
Know that disagreeing is a normal part of every relationship. You aren’t always going to agree, but you do need to hear the other person out, and be okay with your differences. Then move on without holding a grudge. They’ve been able to do it for seven decades!
9. Respect each other.
Besides love, it goes without saying that a key to happy marriage is truly admiring and valuing your spouse. In good times and in bad.
10. Keep a nice home.
Mr. and Mrs. Lombardi believe that it’s very important to have a clean, orderly home that is reflective of your life. If it’s messy and disorganized, it’s likely you have chaos in your life.
11. Be good parents.
Part of showing love to your children is providing your kids with an education. Though Mr. and Mrs. Lombardi insist that you shouldn’t put pressure on your kids to college, not everyone is cut out for a college education and learning a trade is important, too.
12. Marry good genes.
Enough said here!
YourTango: 10 Ways To Spot A Narcissist On A First Date
13. Be sure that your faith beliefs bring you together and don’t divide you.
Share those beliefs with your children so that they may be guided in strong values and purpose.
14. Take the good with the bad.
No one is perfect, and as they say, the grass is not greener. Always remember to love the one you’re with!
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022