The audience in South Carolina did not respond kindly to the front-runner’s attacks on Jeb Bush and the Bush family, with the crowd responding with several rounds of boos during the night.
“This is a man who insults his way to the nomination,” Bush said.
Trump attempted to blame the reaction on “lobbyists pulling for Bush, but the audience cut him off. “Jeb is so wrong. Jeb is absolutely self— just so you understand, you know what that is? That’s Jeb’s special interest and lobbyist talking.”
The booing was so noticeable that searches of “why are people booing?” spiked 1400% during the debate, according to Google.
South Carolina, site of the CBS News debate, will host its Republican primary Feb. 20 and Trump is in the lead there, with a polling average of 35%, according to RealClearPolitics.
Watch a clip of Trump getting booed above.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization