The audience in South Carolina did not respond kindly to the front-runner’s attacks on Jeb Bush and the Bush family, with the crowd responding with several rounds of boos during the night.
“This is a man who insults his way to the nomination,” Bush said.
Trump attempted to blame the reaction on “lobbyists pulling for Bush, but the audience cut him off. “Jeb is so wrong. Jeb is absolutely self— just so you understand, you know what that is? That’s Jeb’s special interest and lobbyist talking.”
The booing was so noticeable that searches of “why are people booing?” spiked 1400% during the debate, according to Google.
South Carolina, site of the CBS News debate, will host its Republican primary Feb. 20 and Trump is in the lead there, with a polling average of 35%, according to RealClearPolitics.
Watch a clip of Trump getting booed above.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears