President Barack Obama is tired of taking selfies, and he’s certainly taken many during his presidency.
“No selfies,” Obama told an Illinois crowd on Wednesday in a video captured by BuzzFeed. “I want to tell you ahead of time.”
“Now this is one thing that changed, by the way,” Obama said. “If we had had smartphones when I ran for president, I’m not sure I would’ve run because folks just have their phones; they won’t shake my hand anymore. It’s like, ‘Hey! I’m here! Live! In front of you!’ So we’re not taking selfies, but I want to shake as many hands as possible.”
For different reasons, landmarks and museums around the world have banned selfies and selfie sticks due to the danger they might pose to surrounding works of art or the dangerous lengths to which photographers might go for the sake of a good shot.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time