Minutes after Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos bested the Carolina Panthers to win Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, Venmo, the hugely popular mobile-payment app, suddenly went down — or at least got very slow — for many users. The site acknowledged the glitches on Twitter, and appeared to be back up and running as usual about two hours later.
Several Twitter users, however, have a theory for why the outage may not have been a mere coincidence.
There isn’t any proof that the Broncos’ ups and Venmo’s downs were connected, but if the Twitterfolk are right then hundreds of Panthers supporters may have lost more than just a football game.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Rishi Iyengar at firstname.lastname@example.org