A woman reporting on the annual Carnival festival in Cologne, Germany was groped during a live television broadcast on Thursday.
Police are now searching for suspects who made obscene gestures behind reporter Esmeralda Labye, kissed her on the neck and touched her breast during the broadcast, CNN reported.
The incident comes after hundreds of women in Cologne said they were groped on New Year’s Eve by men of North African or Arabic descent. The incident fueled protests against Chancellor Angela Merkel tolerant policy toward refugees.
Labye, who was reporting for a Belgian news station, said Thursday’s incident, during the Women’s Carnival celebration, was unrelated.
“I’d like to emphasize, and this seems important me, that the incident has been caused by young men speaking German,” Labye said.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow