If Donald Trump’s campaign for President were a film, it probably would carry a PG-13 rating.
The blunt billionaire often bullies his way against enemies and foes. But he also likes to sprinkle in some colorful language. Here are some of the highlights from Thursday night’s hour-long rally.
— On career politicians? “You can tell them to,” and here he paused for effect, allowing the audience to find the right verb, “themselves because they let you down.”
— When discussing corporations who move abroad for tax advantages—“inversions,” in business speak—Trump said his rivals were dummies. “They don’t even know what the hell it means.”
— On foreign affairs? “Afghanistan is going to hell.” A follow-up promise: “We’re going to knock the shit out of ISIS.”
— On President Barack Obama’s vacation to Hawaii? “I’d want to stay in the White House and work my ass off.”
— On China’s building of military bases in the South China Sea? “They’re ripping the shit out of the sea.”
— On trade deals? “We’re going to win on trade and piss people off.”
— On voters? “They want someone who knows what the hell is going on.”
— On New Hampshire, which has its primary in Feb. 9? “You’ve got to get out and vote. I don’t give a damn. You’ve got to get out of bed and vote.”
Trump, never one to show too much concern about self-awareness, said the characterizations of him as a bully were wrong. “People don’t realize, I am much warmer than other people,” he said. “I want to help people.”
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- The Red-State Governor Who's Not Afraid to Be 'Woke'
- Jonathan Van Ness: We Are Still Not Taking Monkeypox Seriously Enough
- The Not-So-Romantic Return of Europe's Sleeper Trains
- This Filmmaker Set Out To Record Her Family’s Journey Rebuilding Afghanistan. Her Work Is a Reminder of What’s at Stake
- Why Sunscreen Ingredients Need More Safety Data
- What Historians Think of the Joe Biden-Jimmy Carter Comparisons
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma