A passenger sucked from a Somali commercial jet on Feb. 2 after an explosion blew a hole in its fuselage may have been a suicide bomber, according to a new report.
Investigators suspect the bomber used a wheelchair to smuggle an explosive device on board the Daallo Airlines plane, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing an anonymous Western diplomat as a source. He was expelled from the cabin in the explosion, and authorities recovered his body about 20 miles from Mogadishu.
“An individual got onto the plane in a wheelchair and is suspected of being the suicide bomber,” the diplomat said.
After the blast, the Djibouti-bound plane performed an emergency landing back in Mogadishu. The pilot told the AP he thought the explosion was a bomb blast, but officials said they had not determined the cause. Two people on board suffered minor injuries.
- Trump Indicted in Classified Docs Case
- Jason Isbell Is Finding His Purpose
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Why Berberine Is Not 'Nature's Ozempic'
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best Shows to Stream on (HBO) Max
- 9 Ways to Combat Self-Criticism