An anonymous caller phoned in a bomb threat this week to the sheriff in the Wisconsin county where the documentary show Making a Murderer takes place, officials said Thursday.
The caller said bombs had been left in the Manitowoc County sheriff’s office, according to a CBS News report. In an apparent reference to Steven Avery, the male caller referenced “getting justice for Steven.” Making a Murderer has cast doubt on Avery’s conviction for a 2005 murder and suggested that Manitowoc County officials may have acted inappropriately in that case.
The call was deemed a hoax. Law enforcement officials are working to determine the origin of the call.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time