A 5-year-old boy from Chattanooga, Tenn., made a heartbreaking call to the police on Sunday telling the dispatcher that “my daddy and my mama got shot.”
The boy, who seemed too young to know his address, calmly tells the dispatcher that “this dude shot ’em” and asks her to “tell the police officers to come.”
The police found George Dillard, 24, and Lakita Hicks, 25, dead in the house, according to News Channel 9. They say the child, who remains unnamed, is unharmed and is currently with extended family.
The boy remained on the phone with the dispatcher for more than a minute, as she repeatedly reassured him that help was on the way. When asked by the dispatcher whether his parents were talking, the child replied, “No. They dead.”
The boy’s father, Dillard, was a gang member, but police have not said whether the shooting was gang related and have not released information about a suspect, reports the Times Free Press.
“We have dual concerns here,” said Chief Fred Fletcher with the Chattanooga Police Department reports New Channel 9, “finding the people who committed this atrocious act of violence and making sure we help the people who have survived it and are affected by it.”
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy