A 5-year-old boy from Chattanooga, Tenn., made a heartbreaking call to the police on Sunday telling the dispatcher that “my daddy and my mama got shot.”
The boy, who seemed too young to know his address, calmly tells the dispatcher that “this dude shot ’em” and asks her to “tell the police officers to come.”
The police found George Dillard, 24, and Lakita Hicks, 25, dead in the house, according to News Channel 9. They say the child, who remains unnamed, is unharmed and is currently with extended family.
The boy remained on the phone with the dispatcher for more than a minute, as she repeatedly reassured him that help was on the way. When asked by the dispatcher whether his parents were talking, the child replied, “No. They dead.”
The boy’s father, Dillard, was a gang member, but police have not said whether the shooting was gang related and have not released information about a suspect, reports the Times Free Press.
“We have dual concerns here,” said Chief Fred Fletcher with the Chattanooga Police Department reports New Channel 9, “finding the people who committed this atrocious act of violence and making sure we help the people who have survived it and are affected by it.”
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was