A 5-year-old boy from Chattanooga, Tenn., made a heartbreaking call to the police on Sunday telling the dispatcher that “my daddy and my mama got shot.”
The boy, who seemed too young to know his address, calmly tells the dispatcher that “this dude shot ’em” and asks her to “tell the police officers to come.”
The police found George Dillard, 24, and Lakita Hicks, 25, dead in the house, according to News Channel 9. They say the child, who remains unnamed, is unharmed and is currently with extended family.
The boy remained on the phone with the dispatcher for more than a minute, as she repeatedly reassured him that help was on the way. When asked by the dispatcher whether his parents were talking, the child replied, “No. They dead.”
The boy’s father, Dillard, was a gang member, but police have not said whether the shooting was gang related and have not released information about a suspect, reports the Times Free Press.
“We have dual concerns here,” said Chief Fred Fletcher with the Chattanooga Police Department reports New Channel 9, “finding the people who committed this atrocious act of violence and making sure we help the people who have survived it and are affected by it.”
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption