For the first time since her 1959 debut, Mattel is offering Barbie in three new shapes—tall, petite and curvy—which will be sold alongside the original body starting Jan. 28. It’s the most radical change to the most popular doll in history. That’s not to say that Barbie hasn’t evolved over the last 57 years.
Read the TIME cover story on Barbie’s new body
Mattel has tweaked Barbie’s face, makeup and fashions to keep up with the times. Her mouth has transformed from a smirk to a smile, her hair from brunette to blonde. Mattel even made small alterations to her body—though she was always small-waisted with large breasts. Check out this time lapse to see a Barbie’s transformation, culminating her new, modern bodies.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement