For the first time since her 1959 debut, Mattel is offering Barbie in three new shapes—tall, petite and curvy—which will be sold alongside the original body starting Jan. 28. It’s the most radical change to the most popular doll in history. That’s not to say that Barbie hasn’t evolved over the last 57 years.
Mattel has tweaked Barbie’s face, makeup and fashions to keep up with the times. Her mouth has transformed from a smirk to a smile, her hair from brunette to blonde. Mattel even made small alterations to her body—though she was always small-waisted with large breasts. Check out this time lapse to see a Barbie’s transformation, culminating her new, modern bodies.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future