For the first time since her 1959 debut, Mattel is offering Barbie in three new shapes—tall, petite and curvy—which will be sold alongside the original body starting Jan. 28. It’s the most radical change to the most popular doll in history. That’s not to say that Barbie hasn’t evolved over the last 57 years.
Mattel has tweaked Barbie’s face, makeup and fashions to keep up with the times. Her mouth has transformed from a smirk to a smile, her hair from brunette to blonde. Mattel even made small alterations to her body—though she was always small-waisted with large breasts. Check out this time lapse to see a Barbie’s transformation, culminating her new, modern bodies.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time