For the first time since her 1959 debut, Mattel is offering Barbie in three new shapes—tall, petite and curvy—which will be sold alongside the original body starting Jan. 28. It’s the most radical change to the most popular doll in history. That’s not to say that Barbie hasn’t evolved over the last 57 years.
Mattel has tweaked Barbie’s face, makeup and fashions to keep up with the times. Her mouth has transformed from a smirk to a smile, her hair from brunette to blonde. Mattel even made small alterations to her body—though she was always small-waisted with large breasts. Check out this time lapse to see a Barbie’s transformation, culminating her new, modern bodies.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.