Two Tennessee teenagers died after they drank a deadly combination of racing fuel and Mountain Dew.
Officials say 16-year-old Logan Stephenson, of Greenbrier, Tenn., was found dead last Thursday in his bed, while his best friend died on Tuesday, reports The Tennessean.
Both boys drank what’s known as “Dewshine,” which Dr. Donna Seger of the Tennessee Poison Center describes as a failed attempt at making moonshine by mixing Mountain Dew and the racing fuel methanol, which was meant as a substitute for ethanol, a key ingredient in alcohol.
Two other teens have come forward after the incident, admitting they drank a similar substance, and received treatment, according to Seger.
The teens’ cause of death has not yet been officially confirmed.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was