The most popular doll in history has three new bodies: tall, petite and curvy versions will now be sold alongside the original model.
Mattel’s decision to re-design Barbie’s iconic body with three new body types (curvy, petite, and tall) launched a two-year-long process during which Barbie designers discussed, sketched, sculpted and built prototypes of what the new Barbies would look like.
“To allow for new variety in body type seemed like the natural progression of an evolution of a brand that is always strived to really reflect the culture and be current,” says Robert Best, one of the lead designers on the Barbie brand.
The three additional body shapes will be sold along with the original as of January 28th via Barbie.com, and will be in retail stores later this year. Check out this gallery of all the evolved Barbie looks.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.