The most popular doll in history has three new bodies: tall, petite and curvy versions will now be sold alongside the original model.
Mattel’s decision to re-design Barbie’s iconic body with three new body types (curvy, petite, and tall) launched a two-year-long process during which Barbie designers discussed, sketched, sculpted and built prototypes of what the new Barbies would look like.
“To allow for new variety in body type seemed like the natural progression of an evolution of a brand that is always strived to really reflect the culture and be current,” says Robert Best, one of the lead designers on the Barbie brand.
The three additional body shapes will be sold along with the original as of January 28th via Barbie.com, and will be in retail stores later this year. Check out this gallery of all the evolved Barbie looks.
Read the TIME cover story on Barbie’s new body
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement