When the Gainesville Police Department received a call complaining about kids playing basketball too “loudly” in the streets, Officer Bobby White was dispatched to scope out the situation. He arrived on the scene to find a couple of boys shooting hoops and got out of his squad car to join them. “You believe someone’s calling to complain about kids playing basketball in the street?” he asked one of them. “I don’t know who called, but obviously, I ain’t got no problem with it.”
White then challenged the pair to a game of pickup, with other kids joining in as time went on. After about 10 minutes, the officer told them he had to go, but that he’d be back the next day with backup for another game.
The department posted footage of the heartwarming incident, which was captured on dash cam, on its Facebook page. “We’re going to let kids be kids. We’re going to focus on the ones that commit crimes,” police said at the end of the video.
The clip was posted on Facebook on Jan. 21 and has since been viewed over 4.7 million times and shared nearly 120,000 times.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time