Frey died on Monday in New York City following a “courageous” weeks-long battle with rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, the Eagles said in a statement on their website.
“The Frey family would like to thank everyone who joined Glenn to fight this fight and hoped and prayed for his recovery,” the statement said. “Words can neither describe our sorrow, nor our love and respect for all that he has given to us, his family, the music community & millions of fans worldwide.”
Frey’s health problems last November forced the Eagles to put off their Kennedy Center Honor until 2016, the Washington Post reported at the time. Frey had a recurrence of “previous intestinal issues, which will require major surgery and a lengthy recovery period,” the band had said in a statement.
Tributes quickly poured in from the music community.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com