A police officer in Utah was fatally shot Sunday by a suspect who was later killed by police.
Douglas Barney was shot in the head just before 10 a.m. in Holladay, Utah, and died a few hours later in a hospital, Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said, USA Today reports.
Barney was searching for 31-year-old Cory Lee Henderson and a woman, who both fled the scene of a serious car accident they were involved in. After Barney was shot, police officers exchanged gunfire with Henderson, who was killed on the scene.
Barney had spent 18 years working in law enforcement and had a wife and three children, according to the Salt Lake County Sheriff Office. Another officer, Jon Richey, was shot three times and was recovering after surgery, Winder said.
The woman who was with Henderson is still at large.
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk