A police officer in Utah was fatally shot Sunday by a suspect who was later killed by police.
Douglas Barney was shot in the head just before 10 a.m. in Holladay, Utah, and died a few hours later in a hospital, Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said, USA Today reports.
Barney was searching for 31-year-old Cory Lee Henderson and a woman, who both fled the scene of a serious car accident they were involved in. After Barney was shot, police officers exchanged gunfire with Henderson, who was killed on the scene.
Barney had spent 18 years working in law enforcement and had a wife and three children, according to the Salt Lake County Sheriff Office. Another officer, Jon Richey, was shot three times and was recovering after surgery, Winder said.
The woman who was with Henderson is still at large.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.