Jon Snow, the anchor of the UK’s Channel 4 News, apologized on Saturday for a joke he made while interviewing actor and director Richard Wilson about friend Alan Rickman, who died on Thursday at age 69 after battling cancer.
“I apologise unreservedly it was a mistake in the heat of a sad moment,” Snow said on Twitter on Saturday.
During the interview, Snow asked if Wilson had known Rickman was dying. Wilson said he had.
“So it wasn’t a question of, ‘I don’t believe it?'” Snow said.
Wilson, who laughed and appeared unoffended by the question, said he had seen Rickman earlier in the week.
“To some extent, it was a release today. It was still a terrible shock,” Wilson said.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State