Vice President Joe Biden believes Donald Trump could become the next U.S. president.
“Yes, I think it’s possible,” Biden said in an interview on the TODAY show on Tuesday morning when asked whether he thought Trump could be elected.
Trump remains the Republican frontrunner less than three weeks away from the Iowa caucus.
“I hope that if that were to occur — I hope it doesn’t because I have fundamentally different views than he does — I hope that he gets a lot more serious about the issues, a lot more serious about gaining knowledge about how this nation functions and foreign policy and domestic policy, but look, that’s a long way off,” Biden said.
In the interview, Biden discussed his political career and his decision not to run for president. He said last week that he regrets not joining the race, though he thinks it was the right choice for his family.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com