Marvel’s Black Panther has found its director.
Black Panther will star Chadwick Boseman as the eponymous Black Panther, also known as T’Challa, prince of the fictional African nation of Wakanda. Boseman will debut as the character in Marvel’s forthcoming tentpole movie Captain America: Civil War, in theaters May 6.
“We are fortunate to have such an esteemed filmmaker join the Marvel family,” producer Kevin Feige said in a statement. “The talents Ryan showcased in his first two films easily made him our top choice to direct Black Panther. Many fans have waited a long time to see Black Panther in his own film, and with Ryan we know we’ve found the perfect director to bring T’Challa’s story to life.”
Before the Michael B. Jordan-starring Creed, Coogler made his feature debut in 2013 with Fruitvale Station, a biographical drama about Oscar Grant (also played by Jordan), a young father who was shot by a BART police officer in Oakland, California, in 2009. The film was a critical darling and festival favorite.
“I was definitely one of this kids that had a comic-book collection,”Coogler told EW in October. “I was in the comic-book store quite a bit. So those types of films are etched into me because I have a familiarity with them. … When a filmmaker brings them an idea that’s deeply personal to him, that’s when those [big] movies work.”
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror