(ALMOLOYA DE JUAREZ, Mexico) — Mexican authorities want to speak with U.S. actor Sean Penn and Latin television star Kate del Castillo, a Mexican law enforcement official told NBC News Sunday.
The revelation came a day after Rolling Stone published a secret interview that Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman apparently gave to Penn while on the run.
The official also said that investigators were able to learn details about Guzman’s whereabouts by intercepting phone conversations between Penn, Del Castillo and the drug lord.
The apparent interview between the actors and Guzman took place in October, and Guzman was recaptured Friday during an operation in the northwestern Mexican town of Los Mochis.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time