The news that President Obama will spend the week preparing possible executive actions to curb gun violence should remind political satire fans of the 2014 Saturday Night Live parody of “I’m Just a Bill!” from Schoolhouse Rock!
In the sketch, a ruthless Obama—played by Jay Pharoah—demonstrates how Washington really works by pushing Kenan Thompson, dressed like a life-size piece of legislation, down the steps of Capitol Hill, to make room for Bobby Moynihan, who saunters onto the set smoking a cigarette and wearing a giant “Executive Order” button. This week’s news is ripe for a new version of the skit focused on his efforts to bypass lawmakers who are reluctant to pass stricter gun control legislation.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Olivia B. Waxman at email@example.com