The news that President Obama will spend the week preparing possible executive actions to curb gun violence should remind political satire fans of the 2014 Saturday Night Live parody of “I’m Just a Bill!” from Schoolhouse Rock!
In the sketch, a ruthless Obama—played by Jay Pharoah—demonstrates how Washington really works by pushing Kenan Thompson, dressed like a life-size piece of legislation, down the steps of Capitol Hill, to make room for Bobby Moynihan, who saunters onto the set smoking a cigarette and wearing a giant “Executive Order” button. This week’s news is ripe for a new version of the skit focused on his efforts to bypass lawmakers who are reluctant to pass stricter gun control legislation.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms