• Tech
  • Gadgets

Texas Mall Bans Hoverboards After One Caught Fire ‘Simply Sitting in The Box’

1 minute read

Deerbrook Mall in Humble, Texas, has officially removed all hoverboards from its stores.

This decision follows an incident in which one of the devices caught fire on Monday. The local fire department told CBS-affiliated television station KHOU that it had simply been sitting in the box at the time. Firefighters evacuated the mall to take care of the situation.

Mall-goer Marie Golan told the station that it sounded like a small bomb. She added that when the emergency broadcast went off, some people “thought it was something so serious they were holding their children.”

This is something that has been fairly common this holiday season, as hoverboards have been a popular gift. Fortune reported earlier this month that U.K. officials have confiscated thousands of them due to safety issues, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission is currently investigating 22 fires in 17 states. The brand involved in the Deerbrook Mall fire is unknown.

In response to these various incidents, most major airlines have banned hoverboards, and CPSC officials warn against buying them at places like mall kiosks and websites that are unclear about how to handle potential hazards.

This article originally appeared on Fortune.com.

More Must-Reads From TIME

Contact us at letters@time.com