Disneyland’s large-scale expansion to accommodate a new area of Star Wars-related attractions is expected to bring hordes of new fans to the theme park — but it could also spell the end for some older attractions.
To make room for new features based on the blockbuster The Force Awakens, the park will permanently close Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Disney is wasting no time in ushering out the old to make way for the new—the areas slated for closure will be shuttered starting Jan. 10, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Some nearby attractions on the Rivers of America will also be temporarily closed, including Fantasmic, the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Sailing Ship Columbia, the Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, the Disneyland Railroad and the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. In all, 14 acres will be temporarily closed or converted to Star Wars attractions.
The closings come not long after the park hiked prices for customers by as much as 31%. Disney hasn’t announced a planned opening date for the new Star Wars area but experts say it could be at least a year off.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.