Disneyland’s large-scale expansion to accommodate a new area of Star Wars-related attractions is expected to bring hordes of new fans to the theme park — but it could also spell the end for some older attractions.
To make room for new features based on the blockbuster The Force Awakens, the park will permanently close Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Disney is wasting no time in ushering out the old to make way for the new—the areas slated for closure will be shuttered starting Jan. 10, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Some nearby attractions on the Rivers of America will also be temporarily closed, including Fantasmic, the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Sailing Ship Columbia, the Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, the Disneyland Railroad and the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. In all, 14 acres will be temporarily closed or converted to Star Wars attractions.
The closings come not long after the park hiked prices for customers by as much as 31%. Disney hasn’t announced a planned opening date for the new Star Wars area but experts say it could be at least a year off.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color