Disneyland’s large-scale expansion to accommodate a new area of Star Wars-related attractions is expected to bring hordes of new fans to the theme park — but it could also spell the end for some older attractions.
To make room for new features based on the blockbuster The Force Awakens, the park will permanently close Big Thunder Ranch in Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Disney is wasting no time in ushering out the old to make way for the new—the areas slated for closure will be shuttered starting Jan. 10, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Some nearby attractions on the Rivers of America will also be temporarily closed, including Fantasmic, the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Sailing Ship Columbia, the Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, the Disneyland Railroad and the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. In all, 14 acres will be temporarily closed or converted to Star Wars attractions.
The closings come not long after the park hiked prices for customers by as much as 31%. Disney hasn’t announced a planned opening date for the new Star Wars area but experts say it could be at least a year off.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief