It’s the official first day of winter, and Google is celebrating accordingly with a snow globe-themed Google Doodle marking the winter solstice.
The doodle, which is visible in Canada, Latin America, most of Europe and parts of Asia, shows the company’s famous logo within a snow globe with two people skating.
The December solstice, which marks the shortest day and longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere, occurs when the North Pole is at its greatest distance away from the sun due to the 23.5-degree tilt of the earth’s access. It usually takes place on Dec. 21 or Dec. 22.
The moment that marks the shortest day this year will take place at 11:48 p.m. ET on Monday.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time