ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — A newspaper ad featuring a New York-born model has triggered controversy in the conservative Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
Bollywood actress Nargis Fakhri, who appeared as a contestant on America’s Next Top Model set off debate about journalistic ethics, Islam and women’s rights over the weekend.
A photo of Fakhri on her stomach and holding a new phone marketed by Mobilink appeared front page of Jang, Pakistan’s most widely circulated Urdu newspaper.
The ad was criticized by conservative Muslims, including senior staff at the paper, as well as liberal women’s rights activists.
Muslims thought Islamic values had been breached…
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time