In an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Wednesday night, Donald Trump defended his proposal to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the U.S. after the host suggested the idea was “un-American and wrong.”
“Isn’t it un-American and wrong to discriminate against people based on their religion?” Kimmel asked to applause.
“But Jimmy the problem—I’m for it!—but look,” Trump said, “we have people coming into our country who are looking to do tremendous harm.”
Trump said some of his Muslim friends called him to support his idea. “Those may have been crank calls,” Kimmel said.
Kimmel then asked if Trump believed the idea that his comments could help ISIS recruit Muslims who have become disaffected with the U.S. “I don’t buy that,” Trump said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com