The Taliban claimed responsibility for a deadly suicide attack in the Afghan capital on Friday, targeting a guest house in an upscale area of Kabul near several foreign embassies.
Two guards were killed and six other people injured after militants detonated a car bomb at the gate and stormed the building opposite the Spanish Embassy in the Shirpour neighborhood, according to a senior police official.
Afghan special forces pinned down the militants and surrounded them from all sides, the official and a special forces commander told NBC News on condition of anonymity.
Harun Arsalai, a 34-year-old Afghan freelance journalist who…
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org