The Austin High School Packers looked to be in dire straits in the last few moments of their Tuesday night men’s basketball game. With only 1.6 seconds left, the squad was down 56-54 as an opposing Northfield player stepped up to the free-throw line. But not all was lost yet.
As the ball trickled off the rim after the missed foul shot, Austin player Oman Oman grabbed the rebound and threw a Hail Mary shot the full length of the court. The buzzer-beater swished through the basket, giving the Packers the three-pointer they needed to win the game.
“It was just a reaction,” Oman told the Austin Daily Herald after the 57-56 victory. “I just got the ball, and I threw it up. Luckily it went in. It kind of surprised me. I was happy and everyone was charging at me. It was good feeling.”
See the full video above.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms